Monday, September 15, 2014

A deeper understanding of the First Amendment

     The First Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
     This amendment consists of only 45 words but it gives us so much. 

     What does this amendment mean to you? To me, it means that I have the right to my opinions and beliefs. I have the right to speak freely without fear. I have the right to question and challenge the world around me. These are rare and precious freedoms that are important to preserve.
     In my photojournalism class we studied each part of this amendment, then took the First Amendment Quiz. The quiz challenged us, and left us with deeper understanding of this amendment. I encourage everyone to take this quiz because it is important that we know and understand our rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment